Monday 8 December 2014

Beetroot and Cauliflower Pizza Base

The pizza oven from heaven. 





What is a better way to finish off a gloomy Monday than make your own pizza night! Gather all your leftovers, purchase all your tantalizing toppings, and don't forget that cauliflower and beetroot!


This picture is all the family's own pizza bases and ingredients! Don't they look beautiful? I love the odd make-it-yourself night! 



I've just had a weekend full of Christmas baking, decorating and A LOT of eating (more posts to come!) so I had to start this week off as healthy as possible. But when my lovely Aunties' suggested pizza cooked in an outdoor pizza oven I just couldn't resist. Healthy, gluten free, beetroot and cauliflower pizza base it was. I've seen so many recipes for cauliflower pizza bases on Pinterest but I just wanted to try something different, something a little more exciting and a pink pizza base sounded pretty awesome to me. So I made sure I had all of my favourite toppings; baby spinach, parmesan, cranberry sauce (the good stuff with whole cranberries!), brie cheese, some figs, smoked chicken, and mozzarella.  Obviously you can choose your own ingredients, but if you want to eat the best pizza in the world I suggest you follow my instructions (I'm kidding, or am I?).

To make your pizza base it's really quite simple. In a food processor blend up half of a medium cauliflower (or a whole small one) and an average sized beetroot. Once blended so it looks like fine rice, microwave in a bowl for 7-8 minutes. Once microwaved, be careful it'll be very hot, wrap the mixture up in a clean tea towel. Squeeze and ring the tea towel with all your might until no more juice comes out. You will be surprised how much juice comes out and how much it will decrease in size! Once you have gotten as much out as possible put the mixture back into the bowl, add an egg, some fresh rosemary, oregano, Italian parsley, 1/4 cup grated parmesan, and some salt and pepper. Give it a good mix up and then spoon onto baking paper in a prepared baking or pizza tray. Use your hands to push it out into a good pizza-like shape. It should be moist enough to hold together nicely. I like to make the edges a little thicker. Bake for 15 minutes (or until slightly crispy), then scatter your toppings on and bake for another 15. You're done!

However, cooking in that pizza oven does make it so much more divine... It gives it that smokey flavour! 





Practical, perfect, and pretty pizza! Oh... And healthy! Profitable? You get the point, awesome pizza!

Bon-appetite! 


-Fee


2 comments: